Thanks to an opportunity I was able to apply my knowledge as a film photographer in this project. Three people (gardeners) were interviewed and their gardens documented. Once we were satisfied we’d gotten what were after I moved over to the preliminary editing phase. Once the cut had been finalised I took over and applied colour correction.
This was an exciting task. One I wasn’t entirely sure would work convincingly to start with. As I only had one image to use as the basis for this job it was crucial that there was minimal movement in the original footage. It would have been a greater job to replace multiple frames instead of the two it resulted in. All-in-all it was enough to create two replacement images and blend them over time as the the light conditions varied.
Upon first inspection this retouch seemed to be very straight forward. Although I quickly realised it would involve rather a lot more attention than just lightening black colour. Silver reacts quite differently to light than black and I had to be true to its characteristics.
This was considerably difficult to mask as the grey hair of both the lady and her dog were placed upon a grey background. The Art director wished to add a specific wallpaper pattern which there was only little of. So that had to generated from what we had. Texture and shading were later added to subtly supply a reality effect.
The final image was to be used on a Roll-up and therefore had to be extended to fit the format. The image was given a increase in contrast to make the most of what was not the most interesting of subject matters.
Personnel members were photographed standing in similar woodland greenery in the studio. Once masked they were added to the woodland backdrop. As the required format was higher than what we had, it was neccesary to extend the image height.
To give the image an added dimension I decided to increase its contest and add a sepia tone. To do so I firstly applied the contrast to the grey image via Camera Raw and once saved as RGB jpeg brought the image back in again and applied the auto colour correction tool. This gave it the sepia characteristics.